The Ministry of Housing Program provides churches with grant funding as they seek to develop housing on church owned land.
Funding to support early pre-development feasibility analysis to help churches advance their projects from vision to completion.
Workshops and Seminars
Workshops and seminars to help churches understand and navigate the development process to move their development projects forward.
Access to Experts
Access to experts to help churches begin their development journey. Discover your property’s potential for development and learn how to navigate the development process.
The Ministry of Housing Program – Overview
- California is in a housing affordability crisis.
- With the passage of SB-4 into law, now more than ever, churches are uniquely positioned to develop affordable and workforce housing on their underutilized property.
- Housing development is a resource-intensive and lengthy process. The Ministry of Housing: Pre-Development Program was developed to equip churches with tools and resources to advance their project from vision to completion. We do this by partnering churches with development experts equipped to help them navigate the development process. Our ultimate goal is to make housing a reality on church property.
- DCG Strategies, Inc., in partnership with Glad Tidings Community Development Corporation, has received a grant from the San Francisco Foundation to support early pre-development feasibility analysis for a limited number of San Francisco Bay Area churches and faith organizations.
What is a Pre-Development Feasibility Analysis?
- In real estate development, pre-development studies are, quite literally, foundational to the success of any development. There is a strong theological basis for undertaking such studies: according to the Gospel: “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?” (Luke 14:28 NIRV)
- Real estate development is a multi-step process that is lengthy and challenging. The pre-development process is just one of several stages in real estate development, yet critical to the project’s success. A Pre-Development Feasibility Analysis is the process of determining whether a housing development is both physically and financially feasible on a given site.
- As part of this program, selected churches will receive:
- One-on-one coaching and advising with DCG Strategies, Inc., real estate experts who specialize in partnering with churches in the San Francisco Bay Area
- A series of workshops and seminars
- Pre-Development Feasibility Analysis, potentially including:
- Property zoning analysis
- Architectural renderings and massing studies
- Financial feasibility analysis
- Legal formation information
- Consulting in the selection of a development team.
Who should apply?
- This program is for all faith-based organizations, and especially churches, in the San Francisco Bay Area who are ready – and called – to develop housing on their property.
- This is for organizations based in the nine Bay Area Counties including Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma counties.
Application Process, Details & Timeline
- Applications Open: December 8, 2023
- Deadline to Apply: March 1, 2024
- Congregations Selected: April 1, 2024
- Program Concludes: September 30, 2024
Gathering information from potential applicants to the pre-development / feasibility program.
"*" indicates required fields